Wednesday 15 August 2012

Neon Bolt Manicure

This tutorial will show you how to recreate my recent neon bolt design. I absolutely love neon nail polish right now and I have been trying to fit in as many neon manis as I can before the summer is over and all the fall colours come out.

My inspiration for this design was a pair of bolt earrings I picked up in the mall (I guess earrings really inspire me lol). I chose to use my two favorite neons, but you could really do this design with any two colours.


What you will need :

  • base coat and top coat 
  • a white nail polish (I used O.P.I. Alpine Snow
  • a colour for the top of the design (China Glaze Celtic Sun)
  • a colour for the bottom of the design (China Glaze Shocking Pink)
  • a black striper polish or a black polish with a striping brush (Kiss Black Striper)

Step 1:

Apply your base coat and then paint all your nails white. I only did one coat of white but as you can see it is a little streaky and that can show through because of how sheer neons can be (especially yellow). I was in a hurry but if you have the time I would recommend doing two coats of white.



Step 2:

Using the colour you picked for the top paint your nail diagonally which direction you want your bolt to go. Wait for it to dry and do another coat so it is opaque. When your top colour is dry paint the rest of the nail with your other colour. Don't worry if the line between the colours isn't perfect, the bolt will cover up any imperfections :)


Step 3:

Take your black striper and outline the bolt where your colours meet. Take your time outlining it to get your lines as straight as possible. Then also using the striper fill in the outline carefully. I didn't like that my bolts were not tapered at the ends like my earrings so I used a white striper to make them thinner at the bottom and then painted over it with my pink polish. You could also do this to make the bolt perfectly outlined.


Step 4:

Wait until the black has completely dried and apply top coat and you are finished. Have fun showing off your awesome bolt design!


No comments:

Post a Comment